Several studies have shown that cancer is becoming more and more prevalent among people these days. And while no real cure exists for the disease, there are a number of ways in which the chance of cancer can be reduced. And prevention, as we have always been told, is better than cure. One way of preventing cancer is by eating right. Here are five things that we can eat that can fight cancers in our body.
- Green Tea: Green tea is made from the same leaves that ordinary black tea is made from except that it undergoes far fewer processing measures than black tea and still retain most of their anti oxidants. Two powerful antioxidants, known as epigallocatechingallate (EGCG) and epigallocatechin (EGC) are found in green tea which bind to a protein found on tumour cells and dramatically slow their growth. Green tea helps prevent and even cure somecancers, such as lung, prostate, liver, skin, pancreas and breast.
- Cruciferous Vegetables: Vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower are known to be effective agents in the fight against breast cancer due to the presence of a chemical called indole-3-carbinol, which converts a cancer-creating type of estrogen in the body into a more benign form. Sprouts and broccoli also contain a phytochemical called sulforaphane which helps prevent some types of cancer, like colon and rectal cancer.
- Garlic: The pungent bulb is known to contain chemicals called allium compounds that have immune-enhancing abilities and help increase the activity of immune cells that fight cancer. These chemicals are also effective in slowing down the growth of tumours and block carcinogens in the body.
- Mushrooms: Tha Japanese have known the benefits of mushrooms for years. Shiitake, maitake, etc are all mushrooms that contain chemicals called polysaccharides, which have been shown to be excellent immunity builders. They also contain a protein called lectin which attacks cancerous cells and controls their growth.
- Chili peppers: Apart from being tasty, chilli peppers and jalapenos contain capsaicin, a compound that is highly effective in neutralising nitrosamines (a cancer-causing substance). They help prevent cancers of the stomach.
Read more articles on Healthy Eating