Who is at Risk for Postpartum Depression?
Postpartum depression can develop in any woman after the birth of a child in any pregnancy (first, second third or so on). Read to more on know who is at risk of postpartum depression;
- History of postpartum depression after previous pregnancy .
- History of depression or depression during the current pregnancy.
- Stressful events in the recent past like illness, job loss, separation from spouse, loss of family member or pregnancy complications.
- Lack of family support or support from spouse or partner.
- Financial problems.
- Unplanned or unwanted pregnancy.
- Single mother or unmarried mother.
- History of mental health disorder such as bipolar disorder (or manic-depression illness) increase the risk of postpartum psychosis.
Some factors which increase the risk of postpartum psychosis include:
- Family history of bipolar disorder.
- Personal history of bipolar disorder : It increases the risk of postpartum psychosis by three times as compared to women with no bipolar history.
- History of postpartum psychosis in previous pregnancy.
Read more articles on Understand Postpartum Depression
Source: Expert Content Feb 27, 2012
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.