What are the Symptoms of Developmental Dyspraxia
- Children with dyspraxia exhibit very high levels of motor activities.
- They demonstrate high levels of excitability.
- They have limited response to verbal instruction.
- Their concentration levels are also limited.
Dyspraxia is a disorder that affects motor skill development, strength and coordination—and may be the reason behind your child’s difficulties. While dyspraxia is not a learning disability (LD), many children with LD also show signs of dyspraxia.
Symptoms of Dyspraxia
Children with dyspraxia may find it difficult to:
Gross (Large) Motor Skills
- Hold objects without dropping them.
- Navigate physical space; he often bumps into people and things.
- Keep their balance when moving about.
- Learn to walk, jump and skip.
- Carry out games and activities that requires good hand-eye coordination
Fine (Small) Motor Skills
- Do Simple tasks, such as combing hair or waving goodbye.
- Grasp and write/draw with pencils and crayons.
- Work buttons, snaps and zippers.
- Learn how to tie shoes.
- Modulate their voice (volume, speed and pitch).
- Get his mouth muscles and tongue to “work right” when saying certain words.
- Memorise and Focus
- Remember and carry out multi-step tasks, such as making a bed.
- Accurately position or move objects from one place to another, such as pieces on a game board or puzzle pieces.
If your child struggles through simple activities like brushing teeth, knows the correct words to use but can’t get the right “mouth muscle” to coordinate while speaking, and tends to bump into things or has poor grip, these are enough warning signs for you to take them to a paediatrician. Seeking medical attention will help identify and address the child’s disability soon and ensure better results.
Image Courtesy: Getty
Read more articles on Developmental Dyspraxia.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Jun 28, 2011
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.