Salivary Gland Cancer:Are You at Risk?
Salivary gland cancer is a rare form of cancer that begins in the salivary glands. Although the cause of most salivary gland cancers is not known, there are certain factors that raise your risk of salivary gland cancer.
- The exact cause of salivary gland cancer is unknown.
- There are certain factors that may increase the risk.
- Being exposed to certain substances ups the risk.
- Treatment with radiation therapy increase the risk.
Salivary gland cancer is a rare form of cancer that begins in the salivary glands. It can occur in any of the salivary glands like mouth, neck or throat. The development of cancer interferes with the function of salivary glands which is to produce to aid digestion and keeps the mouth moist.
The cancer can start anywhere in the three pairs of salivary glands – upper and behind the jaw- parotid, sublingual and submandibular. The cancer most commonly occurs in the parotid gland, located just in front of the ear.
What Increases your Risk of Salivary Gland Cancer?
Although the cause of most salivary gland cancer is not known, there are certain factors that raise your risk of salivary gland cancer. The following increase your risk of developing cancer of the salivary gland .
- Being exposed to certain substances at work can raise your risk of salivary gland cancer. Those involved in rubber manufacturing, asbestos mining and plumbing have a higher risk of salivary gland cancer.
- Being exposed to certain types of radiation may increase the risk of salivary cancer. Treatment with radiation therapy to the head and neck.
- Older age
Read more articles on Salivary Gland Cancer.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Mar 22, 2011
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.