What are the Risk Factors for Back Pain?
Anyone can get back pain but there are several factors which increase your risk of back pain. Read to know who is at risk for back pain.
- Age: This is an important rick factor. Back pain is more common in older people as compared to children and young adults. Most people have back pain for the first time when they are 30 to 40 years old.
- Sedentary life and poor physical fitness: Back pain occurs more commonly in people who are not fit. Be active and do exercises regularly to keep your back muscles strong.
- Being overweight or obese: Excess weight can stress your back and cause pain. Try to maintain a healthy weight and if you are obese lose weight.
- Heredity: If you have a family history of back pain, due to diseases such as ankylosing spondylitis, or any other form of arthritis that affects the spine, you are higher risk of developing back pain. Some other diseases such as cancer and osteoporosis can also cause back pain.
- Job and work related: People who have to lift, push, or pull while twisting the spine are more likely to get back pain.
- Bad posture: People who work at a desk all day and do not sit up straight, are also likely to develop back pain.
- Smoking:Smoking increases the risk of back pain as the disks may not get enough nutrients. Besides this smoking slows healing so the back pain may last longer.
- Race: Certain race like black women are two to three times more likely than white women to suffer from herniated disk and back pain.
Read more articles on Back Pain Causes and Risks.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Mar 30, 2012
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.