What is the Prognosis of Childhood Rhabdomyosarcoma?
- In this condition, malignant (cancer) cells form in muscle tissues
- A lump or swelling that keeps getting bigger is a common sign
- The size and location of the tumour affect prognosis
- Patient's age and general health also have a role in the prognosis
Childhood rhabdomyosarcoma is a medical condition characterised by malignant (cancer) cells forming in muscle tissues. It is a type of sarcoma that begins in muscles that are attached to bones and that help the body move. There are three main types of rhabdomyosarcoma – embryonal, alveolar and anaplastic. Embryonal rhabdomyosarcoma is the most common type, while anaplastic rhabdomyosarcoma is a rare form.
One of the possible signs of childhood rhabdomyosarcoma is a lump or swelling that keeps getting bigger. Among other signs are bulging of the eye, headache, trouble urinating or having bowel movements, blood in the urine, and Bleeding in the nose, throat, vagina, or rectum.
Prognosis of Childhood Rhabdomyosarcoma
- The following factors affect prognosis (chance of recovery) and treatment options
- Where in the body the tumour started
- The size of the tumour at the time of diagnosis
- Whether the tumour has been completely removed by surgery
- Whether the tumour has spread to nearby lymph nodes or distant parts of the body
- The type of rhabdomyosarcoma
- The patient's age and general health
- Whether the tumour has just been diagnosed or has recurred (come back)
For patients with recurrent cancer, prognosis depends on where in the body the tumour recurred (came back), when the cancer recurred and time passed between the end of cancer treatment.
Read more articles on Childhood Rhabdomyosarcoma.
For more related articles, download OnlymyHealth App.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Aug 09, 2018
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.