With more and more mothers working nowadays (may be because of economic necessity or choice) a raging debate is which is better for kids—a stay home parent or daycare environment. If you are working and do not have a choice (due to economic necessity) do not feel guilty just continue with what you are doing because at the end of the day, we love our children and want the best for them. But if can choose between working or staying at home here are some things to consider.
Pros of Daycare
- Basic learning: Kids may learn faster in a day care as they are exposed earlier to most subject matters such as basic language, math, art skills, and self-care (toilet training, feeding self). In addition seeing other children do the same things is a big stimulus. This helps in preparing the child for kindergarten.
- Socialization and communication: Kids in day care learn socialization skills such as communication, negotiation, sharing and a sense of independence solely by interacting with children (older and younger).
- Learn new activities: In a day care the children are can learn swimming, art, singing which they can’t learn or practice without professional help.
Pros of Parent at Home
- Parent and child bonding: Staying at home with parent increases the love and bonding. You can teach your child values and principles which you consider are important.
- Security: Children staying at home may feel more secure around the parents.
- Putting things in perspective: The break from work can help parents experience the pleasures that they can’t get when at work They can experience the joy of seeing your child grow.