Vitamin D for Swine Flu Prevention
Vitamin D plays a significant role in preventing swine influenza. Experts suggest consumption of vitamin D for swine flu prevention as it helps in strengthening ability of immune system to fight with the virus at an early stage. Vitamin D increases the natural supply of Antimicrobial Peptides (AMP), a conserved component of innate immune response. AMP is responsible for strengthening immune system to fight various kinds of germs such as viruses and bacteria.
According to the National Institutes of Health Office of Dietary Supplements there are two types of vitamin D, namely cholecalciferol (D3) and ergocalciferol (D2). Both the vitamins metabolize in different manner, where in vitamin D3 is more helpful in protecting for swine flu protection by raising and maintaining the level of vitamin D in human body. Since regular food sources does not give the required amount of vitamin D so it is important to take vitamin D supplements as well.
- Take daily vitamin D supplement of 1,000 to 2,000 IU for safeguarding yourself against swine flu. D3 easily get absorbed by the body and strengthen the immune system. It is the best prevention against Swine flu.
- Ones the symptoms are evident or even when the person suspect swine influenza, 5000 IU of vitamin D3 can be taken to prevent the actual flu. Remember that vitamin D3 is a soluble fat and must not be consumed in high doses for more than three days. This must be done in medical supervision so as to avoid any adverse effect due to lack of knowledge.
- Taking calcium and magnesium with vitamin proves to be helpful for better absorption by the enzymes.
- Diagnosis and treatment of vitamin D deficiency is relatively economical and have no substantial risk.
- The people on medication or have any granulomatous disease such as TB, lyme disease and sarcoidosis must seek their doctor’s advice before taking Vitamin D supplements.
It is evident from various studies that there is a strong link between incidents of respiratory infection and deficiency of vitamin D. Result of a study conducted by Cannell et.al suggest that deficiency of Vitamin D is a major risk factor of swine influenza. Moreover, it was also found out that vitamin D can be helpful in reducing number of cases and severity of swine flu symptoms.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Apr 08, 2011
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.