Infections of any kind are uncomfortable; and hence the genital area needs to be taken care of in the healthiest manner as possible. Starting from a normal irritation to as complicated as oddly coloured discharges from the vagina, a vaginal yeast infection cannot and should not be ignored. Such infections are a part of female hygiene and must be talked about; otherwise, they may lead to bigger problems or diseases such as sexually transmitted diseases or even cause disruption in the overall female health.
As it is, females have so many ups and downs throughout their normal menstrual cycle-related to hormones, so it is important to be up to date about the problems associated if they are not careful with their sexual hygiene. Dr. Mukta Nadig, Consultant, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Columbia Asia Hospital, Hebbal, talks about how to be safe from vaginal yeast infection. Taking care of one’s sexual hygiene is important to prevent bigger diseases to prevail.
Vaginal yeast infections are caused by a yeast group called candida, that is versatile in surviving almost everywhere. The vagina also contains a balanced amount of microorganism and evidently, an increase in the number may cause infection. We, women, are evidently exposed to a lot of changes such as hormonal or diet or lifestyle, which may include pregnancy, birth control pills, use of antibiotics, diabetes, or low immunity. Even the clothes that we wear may affect the hygiene down there.
How To Prevent Vaginal Yeast Infection?
Yet, prevention is always a better option and as easy these infections are to acquire, they are equally easy to prevent. Just a little more than your normal hygienic care is enough:
- Diet and Lifestyle- A high blood sugar, indicating intake of more calories increase the level of sugar and related compounds in blood and urine, on which yeast multiplies at a higher rate. Thus, the diabetes level or the blood sugar level needs to be maintained more.
- Antibiotics- Vagina contains all kinds of friendly bacteria and yeasts that maintains the normalcy of the vaginal ecosystem. Taking antibiotics in higher quantity may kill a few of those friendly microbes and may expose us to infections including vaginal yeast infection.
- Birth Control Pills- Taking hormonal tablets may also be taken with proper consultation, especially when you are a regular user of such pills. These pills themselves have many side effects, and infections could be one of them.
- Boost Up Your immunity- Taking care of your diet is good for every kind of disease, since it takes care of your immune system. A weak immune system will make the body prone to all type of infections.
- Following proper bathroom hygiene- Using a clean toilet, cleaning your genital area regularly, and changing your innerwear daily. If you are already a person who is prone to infections, then you must be more careful- use toilet paper, choose your period pads/ tampons/ cups carefully and regularly change them.
- Clothes- Wearing comfortable clothes is important- the ones which do not keep your body damp for long as yeast grows well in damp environment. Too much synthetic clothes can be avoided. For innerwear, preferably use cotton clothes only.
- Bathing after Swimming/ Workout- When workout is an important part of your daily routine, you must be aware of what sweat can also lead to. Excess sweating can easily make us susceptible to yeast infections.
Following and making good hygiene habits can keep us alert and prevent us from infections such as yeast infections, which could be an unpleasant experience and contagious to your partners. Vaginal discharges are common but definitely uncommon color, consistency and frequency of the discharges should be reported.
Do not forget to consult a doctor in case you observe something unusual and never hesitate.
Read more articles on Women’s Health
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.