Most people now days lead a sedentary life due to their working style. Hectic working schedule, long travel time and family pressure can leave little time for exercise and physical activity. Sedentary lifestyle along with poor nutrition and are considered to be major causes of obesity, diabetes, hypertension, colon cancer, depression and anxiety, obesity, and week muscles and bones. Healthy eating habits can decrease your risk for many chronic diseases, including heart disease, stroke, some types of cancer, diabetes, and osteoporosis.
Whether your lifestyle is sedentary by choice, or health related you can improve your overall health and well being by choosing the foods you eat.
- Eat foods from whole grains like ---eat brown rice rather than white rice, whole-grain bread instead of white bread.
- Include plenty of fresh and varied vegetables and fruits in your diet. These contain fiber, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants all of which keep you healthy and help your body to function optimally.
- Eat foods rich in proteins such as lean meat, fish, poultry, legumes, nuts and seeds. Proteins help in maintaining and repairing your body tissues.
- Reduce the amount of added salt in your diet--use spices and herbs such as parsley, oregano and basil leaves to make your food look and taste wonderful.
- Decrease your intake of foods with high content of saturated fat, cholesterol, and total fat. Limit eating meat, red meat, processed foods, fried foods, junk foods as they have high content of saturated fats. Limit eating processed meats like hotdogs, sausage, and salami.
- For snacks prefer healthy foods such as fruits, yogurt, popcorn rather than fries or potato chips
- Keep yourself well hydrated. Drink plenty of water as it is needed for several functions of the body and it helps to remove waste and toxins from your body.
Besides what you eat pay attention your cooking methods as well. Prefer healthier methods of cooking like baking, stir frying, boiling, steaming, or broiling rather than deep-frying, pan-frying and sautéing. Use oil sparingly while cooking.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.