Tips for choosing diabetic shoes help you to select those shoes that prevent the complications of the feet owing to diabetes.
A common complication of diabetes is numbness in the feet. The patient fails to feel any sensation; whether it is heat, cold or pain. It occurs mostly in the feet of diabetics. Apart from taking proper care of the feet, diabetics should pay attention to the kind of footwear they put on. By choosing well designed shoes as part of diabetes treatment, you can reduce the risk of foot sores and ulcers.
Make sure of the following when looking to purchase diabetic shoes:
- The toe box of the shoes should be high and wide. It should allow movement of toes without the chance of striking the front or top of the shoe. It helps in increasing air circulation in the shoe as well as blood circulation in the foot, as the shoes are spacious and give more comfort.
- There should not be a string of seams inside the shoes. These have a scraping effect on the skin and can cause injuries and even infections. Care should be taken to find out whether there are any hidden seams in the shoes.
- Shoes with insoles give better cushioning to your feet. These should be light-weight, firm yet removable. It is important that you are able to remove the insoles to allow for the perspiration to dry. It is needed to prevent the aggravation of bacteria and fungus.
- Include rocker shoes on the ball of the foot. It is often the site for growth of ulcers and other complications. The build of the rocker shoes allow for a more neutral position of the foot.
- The materials of the shoes should be light yet capable of taking the strain of your weight.
- The bottoms of the shoe should be slip resistant. Rubber bottoms are considered safe with regards to preventing skids and falls.
- The diabetic shoes should be easily adjustable on the feet. It is needed to prevent it from sliding around on the feet.
Apart from choosing the right footwear, you also need to follow certain guidelines for preventing complications such as checking your own foot, never being barefoot and consultation with a podiatrist if and when needed. You must make sure that your footwear is well designed to avoid any of the complications of diabetic foot. It would be in your interest to know more about the kind of feet that give more comfort in your condition.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.