Know the Symptoms of Hypothyroidism
- Hypothyroidism is condition of body’s lack of thyroid hormone
- Weakness, weight loss and hair fall are common symptoms
- Muscle cramps and slow heart rate are other signs
- Artificial thyroid hormone medication can help manage the symptoms
Hypothyroidism is a medical condition which is characterised by the body’s lack of thyroid hormone. And because this hormone is important for the body's metabolism, the insufficient hormone can lead to many effects others slowing of the metabolism. However, most of the symptoms of hypothyroidism are associated with a slow metabolism.
The symptoms and severity of symptoms depend on the amount and duration of the hormone deficiency. If the symptoms are mild they can often be confused with other problems. Some of the common symptoms of hypothyroidism are as follows.
- Weakness, lethargy, tiredness
- Hair loss and thinning of hair, dry coarse hair
- Weight gain (leading to overweight or obesity)
- Dry, coarse and rough skin
- Cold intolerance
- Depression, difficulty in concentration, irritabililty
- Muscle cramps, muscle aches
- Abnormal menstrual cycle
- Slowed heart rate
The best way to manage the symptoms of hypothyroidism is to restore the balance of the thyroid by looking into the root cause of it. To deal with the hypothyroidism symptoms, you can take artificial thyroid hormone medication if you suffer from clinical hypothyroidism (only on doctor’s prescription). Consume foods high in tyrosine, such as lean meats, fish, and poultry, as well as lentils, bananas and seeds such as sesame and sunflower seeds can help manage the underactive thyroid condition.
Read more articles on Hypothyroidism.
For more related articles, Download OnlymyHealth App.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Jun 20, 2018
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.