Symptoms of Diabetes Insipidus
The most common symptoms of diabetes insipidus are:
- Excessive excretion of diluted urine.
- Extreme thirst.
The severity of your condition determines how much urine the patient excretes. It ranges from around 2.5 litres to 15 litres a day. It leads to a constant thirst with the unquenched feeling despite drinking good amount of water.
Some other symptoms of diabetes insipidus are:
- Problem in daily activities and sleeping – Your daily chores would be upset by irregular sleeping pattern and erratic times of performing daily activities. This happens because constant thirst would hardly allow you to be normal. Irritability, fatigue and problems in concentration are common for a patient of diabetes insipidus.
- Not feeling well for no reason – You would not feel good about yourself or anything if you have diabetes insipidus. This would be for apparently no reason. This constant feeling of being in somewhat bad condition is often complained by patients.
Diabetes Insipidus Symptoms Particular to Children
- Inconsolable crying and inexplicable fussiness.
- Diarrhoea leading to vomiting.
- Extremely cool dry skin.
- Delay in growth.
- Weight loss.
- Bed wetting or unusually wet diapers.
Make sure that you do not confuse the symptoms of diabetes insipidus with diabetes mellitus. The diagnosis of the latter is much different from the former. Diabetes mellitus results from high blood glucose level. The problem is that the signs and symptoms of these two conditions can be very similar. In both disorders, the patients suffer from excessive thirst and urination. But diabetes mellitus has got much more news coverage and is perhaps more common than insipidus.
Diabetes insipidus is much different from this disorder and you should be careful when treating yourself or any other patient of differentiating. The treatment of the two disorders is different but in any case, you need to visit the doctor immediately as soon as the symptoms are noticed.
Read more articles on Diabetes Signs and Symptoms
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Jan 18, 2012
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.