Understand Swine Flu: Learn how to take care of a swine flu afflicted person. Here are the steps that you can follow to keep yourself and others healthy during swine flu.
The word “flu” is short for “influenza” and both mean the same thing. As H1N1 influenza virus is a new type of flu virus and most people do not have resistance to it, it has spread rapidly. But most people with flu can be cared for at home. It takes about a week to recover from flu.
Steps to follow to keep yourself and others healthy during flu season
H1N1 influenza virus spreads in just the same way as the standard cold and flu viruses do (by tiny droplets that are released when an infected person coughs or sneezes).
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water. This is one of the best ways to prevent many common infections. If soap and water is not available use an alcohol-based hand gel to clean hands.
- Flu viruses survive for a few hours on hard surfaces hence clean all surfaces (such as door handles, remote control, hand rails, table, counter tops and computer keyboards) often to get rid of germs.
- Use tissues to cover mouth and nose while coughing or sneezing. Dispose the used tissue in trash as soon as possible. If tissue is not available cough or sneeze in your elbow.
- Remember not to touch your eyes, nose and mouth as infection spreads this way.
- Consult your doctor regarding seasonal and H1N1 flu vaccines.
- If you have flu like illness --to avoid spreading the infection stay at home from work or school and limit contact with others. Stay at home for at least 24 hours after your fever resolves (i.e there are no signs of a fever, without the use of fever-reducing medications).
- Stay away from people with flu like illness as much as possible.
Read articles and Understand Swine Flu
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.