Symptoms of Cerebral Malaria
- Early symptoms are fever and impaired consciousness.
- Persistent orthostatic hypotension chills is another characteristic.
- The symptoms occur in three stages - cold, hot and sweat stage.
- The signs of cerebral malaria may become fatal within a few days.
Cerebral malaria is the most severe neurological complication caused by plasmodium falciparum, a protozoan parasite. Plasmodium gets transmitted to human via infected mosquito bites. Cerebral malaria is the most dangerous and life-threatening form of malaria that affects the brain and causes mutation.
Also read: Causes of Malaria.
Symptoms of Cerebral malaria
Initially, only few symptoms of cerebral malaria show up in both children and adults. These include:
- non-specific fever
- impaired consciousness
- convulsion and neurological abnormalities
- coma that may last for three days at a stretch.
The main symptoms of cerebral malaria include:
- persistent orthostatic hypotension chills
- muscle pain
- low blood pressure
- altered state of consciousness.
In cerebral malaria, attacks may occur every second day and may last for 6-10 hours. The symptoms usually occur in three stages:
- Cold Stage: sensations of cold and extreme shivering. This may last for 1-2 hours.
- Hot Stage: It is characterised by headaches, vomiting, seizures in young children and high fever i.e. up to 107°F. This may last for 3-4 hours.
- Sweating Stage: It is characterised by profuse sweating and tiredness. This stage may last for 2-4 hours.
Common signs of cerebral malaria include:
- mild jaundice
- enlargement of liver and spleen
- kidney failure
- blood in urine
- rise in intracranial pressure
- delirium and seizures
- increased respiratory rate
The signs of cerebral malaria may become fatal within a few days. Since the natural resistance of immune system is not helpful, one must immediately go for artificial treatments.
Read more articles on Malaria.
For more related articles, download OnlymyHealth app.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Aug 27, 2018
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.