Do you know that mental stress is also one of the reasons that lead to a sedentary lifestyle?
How does a sedentary lifestyle lead to heart disease? A sedentary lifestyle is one that involves no or little physical activity at all. A person who is living a sedentary lifestyle often sits for long hours. It could be associated with sitting jobs involving computers or the person lie down while engaged in an activity like watching television, reading, mobile phones, playing video games and watching videos for long hours. Causes for sedentary lifestyle: Lack of physical activity, spending too much time in one position, lack of exercises, bad posture, mental stress, i.e. losing the job, financial crises, depression, leads to a lack of physical activity.
According to WHO, 60% to 80% of the population worldwide doesn't engage in enough physical activities and prone to heart attacks, heart diseases in young people. The heart is the main organ of your circulation system that pumps blood around your body as it beats. This blood sends nutrients and oxygen to every part of the body and carries away unwanted carbon dioxide and waste products. Not getting enough physical activities, having a sedentary lifestyle can lead to heart diseases even for people with no other risk factors that are usually associated with it like- Obesity, High blood pressure, high cholesterol, Type 2 diabetes, Low metabolism rate and Hormonal imbalance.
Also Read: Clean Your Arteries With These Superfoods
How sedentary lifestyle leads to heart attacks?
- Lack of physical activity so less burn of calories which leads to obesity
- There is the loss of muscle strength and so less contraction of muscles leads to less blood circulation
- High blood pressure so more pressure on the heart
- Glucose intolerance leads to diabetes. Again diabetes causes less blood circulation to heart vessels
- Weakens your heart to pump less oxygenated blood to the whole body
- High cholesterol levels hamper the flow of blood in the heart. It blocks the arteries and veins of the heart, that leads to heart attacks.
- Heart attacks mostly nowadays seen in young people from age 20 -40 years. It's due to bad posture, unhealthy food habits, smoking drinking, lack of physical activities and lack of exercises.
Anushree Bhonde, Physiotherapist, 750ad Healthcare Pvt. Ltd. explains simple and easy ways to prevent heart attacks by avoiding a sedentary lifestyle
- Walk for at least 20minutes for a day
- Exercise regularly- One can go for extensive exercises- Sit-ups, crunches, push-ups or simple movements of the upper body, lower body and spine. Breathing exercises are also recommended
- In offices, use of stairs rather than elevators and lifts
- Stay happy and have a positive attitude
- Take 5-10 minutes breaks every 2hrs
- Keep hydrating yourself- Drink 3-4 litres of water daily
- Maintain healthy eating habits like high fibre diet and fruits. Avoid junk oily food, smoking and drinking
- Take proper sleep for 8hrs
- Avoid stress as much as possible. One should go for pranayam and meditation
- Proper medical checkup every 6months if risk factors are present
- Proper medical help and medications if needed immediately from medical practitioners
Keep healthy, happy and active heart.
Read more articles on Exercise & Fitness
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.