Is There a Cure for Rheumatoid Arthritis?
- It is characterised by the inflammation in the joint areas of the body.
- It is an autoimmune disorder.
- One experiences discomfort, inflammation and swelling in the joints.
- If left untreated, the condition can lead to deformity of the affected joints.
Rheumatoid arthritis is a form of arthritis characterised by the inflammation in the joint areas of the body. It is an autoimmune disorder that affects the linings of the joints. As a consequence, the immune system attacks the joint linings to cause discomfort, inflammation and swelling in the joints. If left untreated, the condition will ultimately lead to damage and deformity in the affected joints.
Treatment of rheumatoid arthritis involves non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs with disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs and certain lifestyle changes to prevent disfigurement or disability. The following aspects are involved in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis
- There are various medicines available to protect the joints from inflammation.
- Physiotherapy has also been helpful in case of arthritis.
- A regular exercise helps in the movement of the joints and thus prevents arthritis.
- When on a sedentary job, one must keep changing the position of the body so that the joints do not become stiff.
- The patient also requires adequate rest for the improvement in the nerve, muscle and ligament condition.
- A weight reduction and further maintenance is advisable so that there is no burden on the joints.
- Diet plays a vital role; a diet rich in saturated fats must be avoided. This includes fried foods, whole fat milk and red meat. Instead, on must opt for light, non or less oily products such as roasted items, toned milk and lean meat.
The treatment may need several changes. It is advised to stay in responsive communication with your health care provider to make sure you are on track to good health and the complications do not get worse. Have a rheumatologist go over your disease process and treatment procedure from time to time to ensure the plan is going to be best.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Jan 25, 2013
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.