Pregnancy Week 24 - Pregnancy Week by Week Development
- Mother's tummy is similar to the size of a soccer ball
- Some women may experience false labour contractions
- Bodily changes such as increase in breast size, constipation, heartburn and frequent urination happen
- Best part is that you will feel whether your baby is sleeping or awake
As you enter 24th week of your pregnancy you also come closer to the end of second trimester. In the coming weeks you will gain more weight and the uterus will also get bigger. Here are some of the changes that will take place in you and your baby.
Pregnancy week 24 - Baby’s growth
- In the 24th week baby gains near about 4 ounces thus making the total weight a little more that a pound.
- The length of the baby is more than 11 inches now
- In this week of pregnancy the skin of the baby is thin as well as translucent but still will undergo change.
- The taste buds continue to develop and eyes are still closed. Baby is constantly gaining weight and developing fat which directly helps in keeping body temperature constant
- The brain is growing at a quick pace. But the lungs are still not ready for the outside world as there is still not sufficient surfactant (help air sacs to inflate). Baby’s cells start producing surfactant making the child ready to breathe in the outside world
- The babies that are born in the 24th week require care of Neonatal Intensive Care Unit as they may have trouble in breathing. On the contrary, in some cases baby starts breathing even in the 24th week of pregnancy. Baby’s hair continue to grow in this week as well
Read: Pregnancy Week 23
Pregnancy week by week - Changes in mother's body in week 24
By the 24th week of pregnancy mother's tummy is similar to the size of a soccer ball. Some women may develop Braxton Hicks Contractions (contraction similar to labour). These contractions can be felt from time to time but there is no reason to panic as they don’t affect the baby. Your eyes may become more sensitive to light and become drier. Eye drops and artificial tears are helpful in encountering the problem.
One of the most noticeable changes in the body is the increase in the cup size or breast size, constipation, heartburn and frequent urination. Some women report to have permanent head cold this is due to increased blood flow that causes congestion.
Some women experience severe ligament pain while others don't. Every now and then you may feel tightening of the uterus. But the best part is that you will feel whether your baby is sleeping or awake. It is good to take rest when the baby is sleeping.
Read: Pregnancy Week 25
Pregnancy week 24 - Advice for mothers-to-be
In the 24th week your doctor will ask you to have a glucose test to check whether you have gestational diabetes or not. It is only about 2 to 5% of pregnant women that develop gestational diabetes. This condition usually disappears after delivery of child. Screening becomes important as during pregnancy placenta produces large quantity of hormones that resist insulin.
You must never change your eating plans to lose weight during pregnancy. If you feel that you are putting on unnecessary weight then consult your doctor explaining the discomfort due to weight gain.
If you experience heart burns then avoid taking rest immediately after the meals. Try to take a walk instead of lying down on bed after having your meal. In fact it is better to take small meals during the day and avoid munching anything late night
Read more articles on Pregnancy Week by Week.
For more related articles, download OnlymyHealth App.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Jul 13, 2018
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.