Points to remember:Kidney Dysplasia
Kidney dysplasia affects babies when they are still in the womb. It usually affects only one one bean of the organ. Learn more about it.
- Kidney dysplasia happens while a baby is growing in the womb.
- it usually affects only one kidney, making it unable to function.
- Many people lead healthy, normal lives with only one functioning kidney.
- The mother’s exposure to certain drugs may cause kidney dysplasia.
Kidneys are a pair of bean-shaped organs that filter the fluid as well as wastes from the blood to the urine. Urine flows from the kidneys to the bladder via tubes that are called ureters. Kidney dysplasia is a medical condition which develops in babies when they are growing up in the womb. Some other terms that are used to describe this medical condition include renal dysplasia and multicystic dysplastic kidney. Some of the basic points to remember about this medical condition are as follows:
• Kidney dysplasia is a condition that happens while a baby is growing in the womb.
• Kidney dysplasia usually affects only one kidney, making it unable to function.
• Many people lead healthy, normal lives with only one functioning kidney.
• A child with kidney dysplasia affecting both kidneys may not survive outside the womb. If the child does survive birth, early dialysis and kidney transplant will be needed.
• The mother’s exposure to certain drugs may cause kidney dysplasia in her unborn baby.
• Kidney dysplasia may have genetic causes and is often part of several genetic syndromes that affect other body systems.
• Children and adults with only one working kidney should have regular checkups for high blood pressure and kidney damage.
• Children with urinary problems in the normal, or non-dysplastic, kidney that lead to kidney failure will need a kidney transplant or blood-cleaning treatments called dialysis.
Read more articles on Kidney Dysplasia.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Jul 26, 2011
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.