Osteoarthritis treatment involves awareness accompanied by certain lifestyle changes.
- Providing information to patients about how to make their bones and joints strong and ways to make the muscles healthy would help in preventing the disease.
- Early diagnosis would be helpful, any day.
- Various organisations and websites give away vital methods on prevention and further care.
- Since osteoarthritis pertains to the bones, joints and muscles, a low body weight would be helpful since it reduces the pressure on the prone areas.
- Mild exercise, such as aerobics, to strengthen the muscles, bones and cartilage growth in the body always proves useful.
- A healthy diet forms a major factor in the treatment. Antioxidant vitamins as C (as in citrus fruits) and E (in nuts, green leafy vegetables, papayas, etc.) protect the areas where the disease is likely to affect.
- Also, vitamin D (exposure to the sun being a major source here) and calcium (found in milk products) are very important components, though here, the intake should be regulated and moderate.
- Over the counter medicines are also available to treat the condition.
- Various devices are used as corrective measures for body alignment, for example, crutches, splints, walkers.
- Soaking the affected part of the body in hot water or warm paraffin wax might be relieving.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Jan 25, 2013
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.