Small babies can be really messy and especially when you are outside home. A diaper bag with all the essential things that you need while travelling can make a huge difference between a successful outing and a disaster with a small baby. Read on to know the 5 newborn diaper bag essentials that can help to make your trip enjoyable and pleasant.
- Diapers and wipes: Pack more than enough diapers for your trip –newborn babies may need a lot of changes even while you are on a short trip. Carry baby wipes to clean the baby.
- Changing Pad: You will need changing pads if you are going out as you will definitely not want to lay your newborn on the changing table in a public washroom.
- Change of clothes and bibs: Make sure you always have extra clothes, bibs and socks in the diaper bag. Carry an adequate number of spare clothes depending on the length of your trip as newborns may need many several change of clothes even on a short trip (the diaper may leak, the baby may vomit and so on).
- Feeding Bottle and Milk: If your baby is on top feed carry enough bottles, and other feeding accessories that you think you will need (formula, flask with warm water). Remember to pack in the breastfeeding shawl if your baby is on breastfeeding.
- Hand Sanitizer, Liquid Soap and Plastic Bags: Keep things to clean up if your newborn gets messy. Carry baby wipes as they are handy for cleaning dirty hands and also your baby. In case you are in a place where it is inconvenient to wash hands with soap and water, a hand sanitizer is what will save the day for you. You should also carry a few plastic bags storing dirty diapers when there is no waste basket in the vicinity. You can also use the bags to store wet and dirty clothes.
Keep the diaper bag packed with the essential items that you will need so when you leave the house in a hurry for example, for an emergency visit to the paediatrician. Things which should always be in your diaper bag are:
- Enough diapers and disposable wipes.
- Changing pad.
- Plastic bags (useful to wrap and throw dirty diapers and keep dirty clothes).
- 1-2 pairs of clothes for baby, and his blanket.
- Feeding accessories such as breast feeding shawl, 2 clean bottles and powdered formula.
- Bibs, Burp cloth, pacifier (if your baby is still using it), rattle or some other baby toy.
- Medications like paracetamol, and rash cream.
Carry a big diaper bag with several pockets so that you can store everything you need for your baby and your (cosmetic, wallet, and cell phone) separately and well-arranged. And when you are on a long outing be sure to have all the emergency medications in your diaper bag.
Read more articles on Newborn Care