Some lifestyle habits that might cause high blood pressure
- Adopt a healthier lifestyle to prevent or control high blood pressure.
- Maintain a healthy or normal body weight.
- Do regular exercises or any other physical activity.
High blood pressure, also referred to as hypertension, increases your risk of heart attack and other medical ailments. All adults are at risk of developing hypertension but certain lifestyle habits increase risk of hypertension or high blood pressure.
- The risk of hypertension is higher in those
- who are overweight or obese;
- who have a sedentary lifestyle
- who consume alcohol
- who consume foods high in salt, processed foods and pickles.
You can lower your risk of hypertension or control high blood pressure by adopting a healthier lifestyle. Lifestyle changes which can prevent or control high blood pressure are as follows.
- Maintain a healthy or normal body weight (aim for body mass index of 18.5–24.9 kg/m2).
- Eat a healthy diet. Your diet should be rich in fruits, vegetables, and low-fat dairy products and low in saturated and total fat.
- Limit your salt intake
- Limit alcohol intake (men to less than 2 drinks per day and women to less than 1 drink per day)
- Do regular exercises or any other physical activity (moderate physical activity for 30 minutes on most days of the week is also adequate).
Source: Expert Content Sep 15, 2017
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.