Surprisingly, 90% of the population loves Ladyfinger or Okra or Bhindi. It is one of the most savored vegetables as people of all ages fondly eat ladyfinger dishes. Apart from being just tasty, okra or bhindi is extremely nutritious. It should get a place in the diet of diabetics as it amazingly regulates blood sugar levels to manage diabetes. Not many people know this but bhindi is one of the best foods for diabetes management. You will get all the necessary details in this article.
What Makes Okra or Bhindi Good For Diabetes?
There are several reasons based on which, nutritionists consider this green veggie to be really good for the patients of blood sugar.
1. Low Glycemic Index: Due to its low glycemic index, bhindi helps in controlling the release of blood sugar.
2. Rich in essential nutrients: Ladyfinger has B vitamins and folate which are extremely beneficial for the human body. These lower down the levels of homocysteine and slows down diabetic neuropathy which is risky for diabetes patients.
3. Soluble fibers: This healthy veggie normalizes blood sugar levels with the help of soluble fiber present in them.
4. Potassium: The ‘K’ content in bhindi effectively maintains blood pressure to keep diabetes in check.
5. Rich in antioxidants: Bhindi is loaded with antioxidants that strengthen the immune system and fight free radicals to keep your safe from a lot of other diseases.
6. Reduces carb-breaking enzymes: With this, okra increases insulin sensitivity in the body to ensure that the pancreas is not running low on insulin-producing cells.
A study was conducted in 2014 to find the effectiveness of okra or bhindi for diabetes. It was published in The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry. The study concluded that this vegetable is good for hypertriglyceridemia and hyperglycemia. "The effects of an ethanol extract of okra (EO) and its major flavonoids isoquercitrin and quercetin 3-O-gentiobioside on metabolic disorders in high-fat diet-induced obese mouse, the researchers found that treatment with EO, isoquercitrin and quercetin 3-O-gentiobioside reduced blood glucose and serum insulin levels and improved glucose tolerance in obese mice," the study concluded.
Here are some delectable bhindi recipes for you to try:
Okra Water: One of the easiest ways to get the benefits of okra is this okra water. Just cut okra in pieces and put them in a jar filled with water. Keep it overnight. Drink it on an empty stomach. It will detoxify your system.
Bhindi Soup: Well, you can make soup of bhindi. Make a mix vegetable soup with bhindi, tomatoes, capsicum and any vegetable that you like.
Dahi Bhindi: If you are tired of eating the regular bhindi ki sabzi and want something different to tickle your palates, try Dahi bhindi. You are to just add yogurt at the time of cooking to the regular bhindi recipe. It is easy and tasty.
Okra Salad: Just saute sliced ladyfinger in olive oil or you can grill them. Add some salt, pepper and lime juice to it. Your healthy and tasty bhindi salad is ready.
Read More on Diabetes