Heat stroke is a serious condition and the person should be given prompt aid. Know the process of first aid for heat stroke.
Heat stroke or sunstroke is a silent killer. Why? It is the most unanticipated problem that occurs in the summer. While we will be thinking that summer heat is a normal thing, heat stroke happens to be a serious thing that can bring various complications along. Anyone irrespective of age or gender can get affected by heat stroke during the heat wave. Doctors advise to avoid heat exposure especially during peak summer days as the risk of heat stroke and other heat-related health issues is higher at that time. The person who has gotten a heat stroke needs immediate medical attention as if left untreated, this condition can damage your health in many ways.
Heat Stroke and Health
A heat stroke is not just about raising body temperature but it is also related to the health and wellbeing of other body parts as well. This includes your liver, heart, lungs, kidneys, and brain. Now you must have understood the destructive powers of heat stroke. Prevention is better than cure. It is necessary to follow preventive measures to deter this situation. One should avoid being out during heatwave and should drink as much water as they can to prevent dehydration. These are the symptoms to identify that you have been hit by heatstroke:
- High fever (104 F or higher)
- Profuse sweating
- Nausea and vomiting
- Increased pulse rate
- Breathing rapidly
- Flushed skin
- Slurred speech
Heat stroke first aid
You must have understood the seriousness of the heatstroke condition. If the patient is not given treatment on time, this condition may even turn fatal. If a person seems to have got heatstroke, he must be provided emergency medical help. It is very important to lower the body temperature to control the situation from affecting other body parts.
Here are the steps of first aid for heat stroke.
- If you see the symptoms of heatstroke in a person(as mentioned above), immediately call the emergency medical helpline(dial 112 in India).
- Take the person to a cooler place or try to bring his body temperature down.
- Remove the excess layer of clothes from his/her body.
- Place a cool wet towel on the body or use ice cubes to cool down the body. Alternatively, spray cool water on the body.
- If the person does vomit, help him get some air. Turn him sidewards to open the airways for breathing.
- If the person is in senses, make him sit and give something cool to drink. Prevent sugar or caffeine at this time.
- In the worst case, if the person falls unconscious or is unable to breathe properly, give him CPR or cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). However, this is the last step to save the life of the person.
This is the first aid process for heat stroke. The most important thing is to lower down the body temperature of the person. This minimizes the risk of damage to other vital organs like the brain and heart.
Read More Related Articles in Home Remedies
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.