Ayurvedic treatment for hyperthyroidism aims to control its symptoms and prevent them from getting severe. Ayurveda strives to cure the root cause or pathology of hyperthyroidism i.e., Grave’s disease.
Ayurvedic treatment for hyperthyroidism aims to control its symptoms and prevent them from getting severe. Ayurveda strives to cure the root cause or pathology of hyperthyroidism i.e., Grave’s disease. Stress, smoking, exposure of neck to radiation, certain medications and persistent viral infections can precipitate Grave’s disease.
The common symptoms presented by hyperthyroidism are:
- excessive sweating
- heat intolerance
- increased bowel movements
- tremor, nervousness
- weight loss
- decreased concentration
- and irregular menstrual cycles.
- Kamdudha Ras, Praval-Panchamrut, Praval-Bhasma, Chandrakala-Ras and Sutshekhar-Ras are administered to relieve excessive sweating and heat intolerance.
- Kutaj-Parpati, Panchamrut-Parpati and Bilva-Avelaha are used to ease increased bowel movements caused by hyperthyroidism.
- Fatigue can be cured with Makardhwaj, Suvarna-Malini-Vasant, Kharjur-Manth, Drakshasav and Lohasav.
- Yograj-Guggulu, Boladi-Vati, Kumaryasav and Gandharva-Haritaki are used to normalise irregular menstrual cycles and their flow.
- Nervousness, tremor and agitation are corrected with the help of using Brahmi, Jatamansi, Shankhpushpi, Sarpagandha, Saraswatarishta and Dashmoolarishta.
Ayurvedic Medicines for Grave’s disease
Medicines used to treat Grave’s Disease or inflammation of the Thyroid Gland— Arogya-Vardhini, Panch-Tikta-Ghrut-Guggulu, Triphala-Guggulu, Punarnavadi-Guggulu, Maha-Manjishthadi-Qadha, Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Behada (Terminalia bellerica), Kanchnaar (Bauhinia variegata), Saariva (Hemidesmus indicus), Usheer (Vetiveria zizanioidis), Chandan (Santalum album), Nimba (Azadirachta indica), Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia) and Gokshur (Tribulus terrestris).
Additional Medicines— For early recovery, additional medicines are added to the already prescribed doses to treat hyperthyroidism. Additional medicines include Suvarna-Sutshekhar-Ras, Suvarna-Sameerpannag and Abhrak-Bhasma.
Since Grave's disease is an autoimmune disorder, medications, such as Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus), Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum), Bala (Sida cordifolia) and Naagbala (Grewia hirsuta) are given to improve one’s immunity.
Ayurvedic Medicines for Hyperthyroidism
- Azadirachta indica
- Momordica charantia
- Ocimum sanctum
- Piper betel
- Trigonella foenum graecum
- Moringa oleifera
- Allium sativum
- Nelumbo nucifera
- Aloe vera
- Aegle marmelos
- Have lots of cruciferous vegetables, such as cabbages, kale, mustard greens and Brussels sprouts to lower the chances of hyperthyroidism. These veggies can reduce the over activity of the thyroid gland .
- Fruits, such as pears and peaches can prevent the worsening of hyperthyroidism.
- Alcohol, caffeine and nicotine aggravate a patient’s condition with hyperthyroidism, thus should be avoided.
- Progression of this ailment can be mitigated with a well-balanced diet. Take foods rich in iodine along with protein supplements.
Read more articles on Hyperthyroidism.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.