How to stop the spread of malaria
Wondering on how to stop the spread of malaria? If yes, then you have reached the right place. Here are different ways by which you can stop the spread of malaria.
- Awareness can stop the spread of malaria.
- People can be more cautious at an early stage.
- Beside prevention, this will also help in early diagnosis.
- Minimise exposure to mosquitoes on all stages.
Malaria is a mosquito borne disease that is caused by the infection of the parasite of plasmodium genus. Maximum number of malaria cases are reported from tropical and sub-tropical areas such as Africa, Sub-Saharan, Asia and America. When the malaria parasite enters red blood cells in the body, it multiplies there leading to the symptoms such as fever, headache and even coma in a few cases.
Natural immunity is helpful only in some of the cases of malaria. The best way to stop the spread of malaria is to spread awareness regarding the disease and controlling the breeding of its vector.
Spreading awareness about the disease
Awareness can stop the spread of malaria as people can be more cautious at an early stage. There is a need to educate people about the causes and symptoms of malaria. Beside prevention, this will also help in early diagnosis and quick treatment of malaria.
Controlling the vector
The spread and breeding of anopheles mosquito, the vector of the malaria parasite, must be necessarily stopped or controlled from human populated areas.
- Remove standing water from the areas that are nearby your office or home.
- Anopheles mosquitoes are more active during dusk and dawn. So try to stay indoors during these hours.
- If you absolutely need to step out during dusk or dawn then minimise exposure by staying covered with full-coverage clothes.
- Apply mosquito repellent creams with a high level of N,N-Diethyl-meta-toluamide(DEET) before going out.
- Indoor residual spraying (IRS) with insecticides is also recommended for vector control.
- Insecticide treated mosquito nets are recommended for vector control by the World Health Organization.
Drugs for stopping the spread of malaria
Mefloquine, atovaquone/proguanil, doxycycline, chloroquine and primaquine are some of the drugs that are helpful in minimising the spread of malaria. If you are travelling to countries where malaria is prevalent, then it is advisable to take anti malarial drugs. These drugs must be taken under medical supervision taking in account the health and medical history of the person.
Image Source: Getty
Read more articles on Malaria
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Apr 13, 2011
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.