How to Spot Lung Cancer Symptoms
How to Spot Lung Cancer Symptoms: Spotting lung cancer symptoms is important for early diagnosis and prompt treatment.
Lung cancer is a horrible condition that deteriorates lung functioning, and it can spread around the body if not discovered early. It is hard to detect the lung cancer symptoms in advance, unless you experience certain reccurring symptoms. Find out how you can recognise some basic symptoms of lung cancer but remember to always talk about complications with your doctor. If you want to know how to spot lung cancer symptoms, the following should be considered:
- Always be alert about the way you cough. Coughing repeatedly can be an initial sign of lung cancer, particularly if there are some changes in your cough. Make sure you discuss with your doctor about the symptoms to diagnose or rule out the problem.
- Notice if you feel pain and aches when you are breathing or coughing. If you have these symptoms, then please speak to your doctor to discover what the problem is before self-diagnosing.
- Be vigilant about persistent fatigue. If you feel that you have unending fatigue, ask your doctor why these symptoms are occurring. Although it is a symptom of lung cancer, but could also be due to overexertion, stress, or any other cause.
- Watch for pain under the ribs on the right side of the liver and shortness of breath. These two symptoms can be indicators of lung cancer. Please tell your doctor if you experience any of these symptoms.
It is common to find lung cancer spreading to lymph nodes followed by other regions of the body. The technical term for spreading of lung cancer is metastasizing and it happens in mainly three ways. It can happen through the bloodstream, spread close to the tumour, and also through the lymphatic system. The first lymph nodes to get affected are those near the tumour called regional lymph nodes. Cancer can also spread to the lymph nodes in the distant region.
Some of the terms associated with lung cancer spread of lymph nodes include local spread, regional disease and locally advanced disease. These pertain to the various conditions of the spread of lung cancer.
Some of the symptoms of lung cancer spread to lymph nodes are:
- Swelling in the neck area, just above the collar bone.
- Swelling of lymph nodes leading to shortness of breath.
- Pressure on nerves due to swollen lymph nodes resulting in hoarseness in voice.
The lymph nodes to which the lung cancer can spread are Extrathoracic lymph nodes, Mediastinal lymph nodes, and Intrapulmonary lymph nodes.
Read more articles on Cancer
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team May 15, 2012
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.