Nausea during pregnancy can be reduced by resorting to simple remedies available right in your home. If you must stick to medication, talk to your doctor.
Nausea is the most widely recorded symptom of pregnancy and is caused due to an overhaul of hormones in the body.
Human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) and estrogen levels in the body shoot up during pregnancy and this can be one of the reasons why a woman experiences nausea during pregnancy. An enhanced sensitivity to smell and odour also leads to nausea. Commonly referred to as morning sickness, the nauseous or queasy feeling can strike a pregnant woman any time and can stay on for a few hours. However, fret not if you feel extremely nauseous during pregnancy. You can do things that will reduce its effects.
- What you eat has a major role to play in reducing nausea during pregnancy.
- Eat small portions but frequently.
- A big meal might trigger nausea leading to vomiting.
- Avoid foods that emanate strong smells and also fatty foods.
- If you wake up in the middle of the night, eat a small snack such as yoghurt or crackers in order to reduce the symptoms of nausea.
- Cut down on garlic and other heating foods as they will increase your body temperature.
- When travelling, remember to keep a stack of snacks handy. Keep eating in intervals so that you can reduce feeling nauseous.
- You can also eat ginger when feeling queasy to feel better.
- Dehydration will lead to nausea.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- If you cannot drink a lot of water at one time, keep sipping from time to time throughout the day.
- Also, increase the intake of other fluids such as fruit and vegetable juices.
Say No to Caffeine
Caffeine present in coffee and aerated drinks can be a triggering factor for nausea. Cut down on your caffeine intake. Better still, switch to healthier options such as shakes and smoothies.
Take Precautions when Getting Out of Bed
- Do not rush out of bed the moment you wake up as it can trigger morning sickness.
- Give yourself and your body sometime to adjust before you step down from the bed.
- This will balance the equilibrium of the body and you will have a higher probability of quelling the feeling of nausea in the morning.
Stay Away from Triggers
- A woman’s senses heighten during pregnancy. Therefore, you need to stay away from anything that has made you feel nauseous in the past.
- Stay away from the odours of petrol, diesel, fumes arising from food being cooked, etc.
- If you have experienced motion sickness in the past, then avoid excessive travelling.
- Also, remember to always stay in a well ventilated environment as stale air can trigger nausea.
Talk to the Doctor
- In case nothing else is helping you to reduce nausea during pregnancy, you need to talk to your doctor.
- Tell him about all the problems that you have such as you cannot help but feel nauseous throughout the day.
- S/he will diagnose your situation and if necessary, recommend a urine test.
- Sometimes, the doctor also prescribes anti-nausea drugs that are considered safe during pregnancy such as vitamin B6 tablets.
It is definitely very irritating to feel naseauted throughout the day. How can you possibly lead tired and weary nine months? Take care.
Read more articles on Problems During Pregnancy
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.