How to prevent Periodontal Disease?
Periodontal disease is very much preventable, if you maintain good oral hygiene.
Tips to prevent periodontal disease
- Daily brushing (at least twice daily — in the morning and before going to bed ) and flossing to remove plaque from between teeth and below the gumline and control tartar buildup
- Go for regular dental checkups and cleanings as required. Use approved products to diagnose and treat gum disease, and even regenerate lost bone. Use of these products can improve the effectiveness of the professional dental care.
- Use the right toothbrush--- that is appropriate in size, has soft, end-rounded or polished bristles. Do not use brushes with stiff or hard bristles as these are more likely to injure your gums. Change your brush every three to four months or more often if required. Consult your dentist if you have doubt regarding which toothbrush is right for you and the correct technique of brushing. You may be recommended to use electric toothbrushes with rotating or vibrating bristles as they are better for removing plaque and maintaining healthy gum tissue than manual brushes.
- Floss thoroughly at least once a day. If food gets trapped between your teeth, you need to floss more often to remove it. Be patient as flossing needs a certain amount of agility and attention and flossing is an essential part of effective oral care.
- Eat a balanced diet. Your diet must contain plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables and should have calcium-rich foods such as milk and cheese as calcium makes teeth strong. If needed take vitamin C and calcium supplements. Avoid smoking and other forms of tobacco
Source: Expert Content Jul 14, 2011
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.