How many calories does bikram yoga help you burn?
- Your actual weight could be a major determining factor in the number of calories your burn.
- You need to practice Bikram yoga at least 10 times within a span of 30 days.
- A mirror will help you get your postures absolutely right.
Bikram yoga or Hot yoga is essentially a very intense form of yoga. Although most of us associate this particular form of yoga with rapid weight loss, fervent Bikram Yogis have a different opinion. They consider this yogic form as a form of preventive exercise which helps in keeping ailments at bay and provides holistic health benefits. Weight loss or burning calories are just one of these benefits.
Despite this, nowadays, weight loss is of the primary reason for practicing this intense form of Hot yoga. When it comes to Bikram yoga, calories burned and estimation of weight loss are the prime queries and most of us would be keen to arrive at specific figures for the same.
Weight loss does not solely depend on how often you practice Bikram yoga. Calories burned during Bikram yoga sessions can vary from person to person. There are several factors which govern the same.
- To begin with, your actual weight could be a major determining factor in the number of calories your burn during a session of Bikram yoga.
- Calories burned also depend on other factors which include your gender, your current body state and your body type.
- If you are suffering from conditions such as morbid obesity and have been overweight since young, the rate of calorie burn could be slower than in the case of an individual who has suffered temporary weight gain in the recent past.
Therefore, you need to keep these factors in perspective before assessing the rate of calorie burn. The results of Bikram yoga also depend on the following crucial factors:
- When it comes to Bikram yoga, calories burned would also depend on the approach adopted.
- You need to practice Bikram yoga at least 10 times within a span of 30 days. In addition,
- Follow your Bikram yoga instructor’s orders and learn to hold on to your postures for as long as he advises you to. This is essential for burning maximum calories resulting in weight loss.
- Ideally, the amount of calories burned would also depend on how you plan the sequence of your postures, without fidgeting too often from one posture to the other.
- Keep a mirror before you when you perform the sessions of Bikram yoga. It will help you get your postures absolutely right.
During a session of Bikram yoga, calories are burnt primarily because the body temperature increases during the course of these intense sessions. This in turn enhances the cardiovascular intensity just like aerobic exercises do. Therefore, depending upon your current heart rate and muscle mass, you can burn approximately 500–1000 calories per every Bikram yoga session.
Bikram yoga as a form is primarily favoured because it can easily burn hundreds of calories within a short span of time. In addition, Bikram sessions also help in improving joint flexibility, strength, endurance and attaining mental stability. Therefore, this intense yogic form should not be practiced for weight loss alone. When performed correctly and religiously, Bikram yoga can provide immense holistic benefits for a healthy and active life.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Sep 04, 2017
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.