How to Live With Breast Cancer
If you are detected with breast cancer, it is not the end of the world. Early detection of breast cancer can prevent mortality. If a relative has been detected with breast cancer, try and get yourself checked for BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene which drastically increases your risk to be diagnosed with breast cancer. Even if you feel that you are not at a very high risk but experience swelling, a change in the breast contours, lumping, dimpling, a change in the contours of the nipples, you need to consult a doctor.
A mammogram is an x-ray scan of the breast, which is the most trusted clinical technique of checking for breast cancer. In this technique, the breast is placed between two plates through which x rays pass and produce clear images of the breast tissue. The mammogram is usually conducted in women, during their 40’s and earlier the detection better is the chance of survival. An ultrasound is also a widely used technique to detect breast cancer. In an ultrasound, a gel is applied on the breast, the ultrasound machines are made to scan the breast, and it emits sound waves invisible to the human eye. The sound waves produced form images on the screen with enhanced details, it enable the doctors to identify tumours or cysts in the breast.
In case, you have reached the terminal phase of breast cancer, it is best to undertake a proactive approach. Breast cancer is faced by over 1 million people each year. It is best to get treated for breast cancer as advised by your doctor and connect with people who are facing the same. Empathy plays a crucial role in making things better for breast cancer patients.
Follow these simple instructions and enjoy a more fulfilled life to cope with breast cancer:
- Take complete control of your life and visit your doctor and dietician at regular intervals to ensure good health.
- Ensure that you eat lots of fruits and green leafy vegetables to stay nourished and be mentally and physically sound.
- Exercise regularly but strenuous activity should be off limits; you can practice yoga to make sure your body gets its dose of good health.
- Study which sections of people detected are detected with breast cancer and are more likely to develop tumours, and get tested for the possibility for the development of any new tumour growths.
- Volunteer with a local breast awareness self help group and spread the awareness of early detection, self examination, clinical techniques and pave your path to recovery hand in hand with other people diagnosed with breast cancer.
- Live with the awareness that you have a lot of support, not just from your family, but also from hospitals that have support groups and churches and community halls, which often sponsor cancer patients.
Read more related articles on Breast Cancer Prevention
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Dec 13, 2011
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.