How to Give Parenting Tips for an Eating Disorder Teen?
Nutrition is important for a teenager’s physical and mental development, because they are growing every day. Their eating pattern can be a matter of concern for parents, but this can be remedied with some creative parental guidance. Read to know how to rectify or prevent eating disorders in your teenager.
- Make mealtime a family time; children who eat with their family regularly are more likely to eat healthy foods.
- Do not make meal times a place for battle. Avoid lectures and arguments over the table and try to make meal times calm and congenial.
- Let them learn healthy eating habits by serving fruit, vegetables and other healthy foods at every meal. Try to avoid unhealthy foods (like deep-fried or processed). Limit their intake of junk foods such as chips, candy, soda and fruit-flavored drinks.
- Do not force them to eat when they are not hungry. Never use the threat of with-holding food for leverage.
- Involve them in the preparation of meals. Children enjoy deciding what to make for dinner.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Feb 06, 2013
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.