How to Encourage Good Study Habits in a Teen?
Education is important for success in all spheres of life. Do not encourage cramming or learning for grades. Your aim should be to generate enthusiasm and a liking for the subjects taught at school with as little pressure as possible. As a parent you have to figure out how to develop your child’s interest in reading and learning. Let your approach focus on building good study habits instead of merely reading and solving the problem.
- Impress upon him that education is important, and let him know you value it.
- Have a place where he can study in comfort.
- Let him see you reading and take him to the library from time to time. Have books, magazines, and newspapers in your house.
- Help him to plan his work, study and other activities. Make a reasonable, consistent schedule for reading and learning at home, while also encouraging him to practice some other learning activity daily, like reading a random novel from the library.
- Set limits on their television viewing and computer games, as these have been shown to interfere with their learning. Children who watch too much television how sub-standard academic form.
- Help him to set goals and let them feel that you have confidence in them achieving these. Remind him they can achieve these goals with patience and practice.
- Praise him when he has performed well and take interest in his work. Do not criticize, but give helpful suggestions instead.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Feb 06, 2013
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.