Some superfoods can help in reducing BP. One of such superfoods is flaxseeds.
High blood pressure is a fatal condition which, if ignored, can lead to death. High blood pressure occurs when the blood flow in a person's arterial wall becomes very fast. Increasing high blood pressure over time causes damage to the tissue within our arteries, due to which any person becomes a victim of fatal heart diseases. However, by making some changes in your diet, this danger can be avoided. There are some superfoods in the market, which can help in reducing BP of any person. One of such superfoods is flaxseed! According to Amreen Shaikh, Head dietician and nutritionist, Wockhardt Hospital:
- Flaxseeds are a rich source of plant-based omega-three fatty acids which is good for heart health.
- It is a good source of fibre which helps in weight loss, lowering bad cholesterol and
- blood pressure.
- It helps to prevent constipation.
- It is also a great source of proteid.
- Flaxseeds can be included in the diet in different forms.
- Consume it in powdered form.
- 2 tbsp per day is recommended.
- Can be mixed with mukhwaas, can be sprinkled on the curd, or mix with smoothie or soups.
Use of flaxseeds has been seen in European and Asian countries for a long time. According to a Canadian study published in the journal Hypertension, people who added 30 (thirty) grams of flaxseeds to their diet daily for six (6) months had an average blood pressure decrease of 15 (fifteen) mm Hg and low blood pressure. Also, an average increase of 8 mm Hg was recorded.
At the same time, those who took placebo supplementation showed an increase in their systolic (high) blood pressure while the diastolic (low) blood pressure remained stable. The researchers of the study said that incorporating flaxseeds into the diet reduced blood pressure levels, resulting in a 50 per cent lower stroke rate and a 30 per cent lower risk of a heart attack.
A review of data obtained from 11 (eleven) studies found that the consumption of flaxseeds daily for more than three (3) months reduced blood pressure by two (2) mmHg. Reducing blood pressure to 2 mmHg also appears significant as a decrease in blood pressure, as many points reduce the number of people who die from stroke by up to 10 per cent, while the number of people who die from heart disease is reduced by seven per cent.
Benefits of flaxseed seeds
Do you know that flaxseeds are also a good source of fibre?
- Flaxseeds are helpful in weight loss, skin, hair, stomach problems, heart disease, heart blockage etc.
- Linseeds contain iron, potassium, phosphorus, calcium, sodium, fibre, omega-3 fatty acids and other nutrients.
- Linseeds help promote beneficial bacteria of the stomach and keeping the digestive system smooth and healthy.
- The omega-3 fatty acids in flaxseed help to keep your heart healthy.
- Linseed seeds are also helpful in controlling cholesterol.
- Regular intake of flaxseeds does not cause blood clot problems in the heart arteries, reducing the risk of a heart attack.
Read more articles on Other Diseases
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.