How to Cure Yeast Infection in Women
- Yeast infection is caused by the overproduction of yeast
- Its breeding ground is warm, moist areas such as a woman’s vagina
- Yeast infection can be very irritating and uncomfortable as it causes symptoms
Yeast infection is caused by the overproduction of yeast and its breeding ground is warm, moist areas such as a woman’s vagina. Excess of yeast is developed due to certain factors such as suppressed immune system douching, tight panties, using unclean toilets and consuming certain medications. Yeast infection can be very irritating and uncomfortable as it causes symptoms such as burning, vaginal discharge, sore affected area and pain while urinating or intercourse. Yeast infections are very common and can easily be cured using the given tips.
You can cure your vaginal yeast infection with antifungal creams such as Femstat 3, lotrimin, monistat, terazol 3. Apply these creams topically in and around the vagina or you can also use them with oral antifungal medications. Antifungal medication is available in vaginal tablet; few of them are terazol, mycostatin, Mycelex, micatin and lotrimin. Doctors usually prefer antifungal creams to oral antifungal drugs as they have certain side effects such as- headache, nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. During pregnancy, oral antifungal medications are not recommended.
You can use these creams without consulting a doctor. These over-the-counter topical creams can only be used when yeast is the main cause of infection. For any other vaginal infections such as gonorrhea, bacterial vaginosis and chlamydia, consult your doctor once. If antifungal creams are unable to render comfort, it is better to see a doctor.
You can treat your yeast infection by resorting to some home remedies, which are wholly natural with no side effects. Yogurt has natural bacteria, which fights yeast so it can be applied to the infected area and can be added to your meal. Garlic and apple-cider vinegar are potent fungal-fighters. You can consume them as well as apply them directly to the area affected. Before applying apple-cider-vinegar, remember it will sting and in fact burn for some time but will help you a lot. You can also insert few drops of undiluted tea tree oil in your vagina for half an hour twice for two days. It is a natural antifungal and will significantly reduce the yeast infection. Applying honey for 20 minutes, two times in a day for three days can bring surprising relief in yeast infection.
Tips to Prevent Yeast Infection
- Do not wear tight-fit panties
- Avoid wearing tight-fit jeans daily
- Use cotton clothing in place of synthetic material
- Always wear well-fitted cotton panties
- Change your panty daily
- Clean your vagina daily. Wipe vaginal area with super absorbent paper
- Change wet clothes to dry clothes
- Before sitting on the toilet seat, clean it from front to back, never do it back to front
- Never use sprays or perfumes in the genital area
- Avoid using fragrant sanitary pads
- Remember if your yeast infection has not given up even after one week of antifungal medication, consult a doctor for an appropriate treatment
Image source : Getty
Read more articles on Women's Health.
For more such stories, Download Onlymyhealth App.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Jun 01, 2018
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.