To lessen the anguish caused from heat stroke and other heat-related illnesses, one needs to get acquainted with the ways to deal with heat.
Heat stroke is a kind of heat illness, wherein the body temperature alleviates beyond normal level due to heat exposure (lack of thermoregulation). Body looses the ability to cool itself down by sweating due to heat stroke. Getting exposed to high temperatures for a prolonged span or working under sun during summer season affects one’s body’s systems causing loss of fluids. As a consequence, the body produces more heat than its ability to release.
It is a critical condition, which requires attention to prevent the progress of heat stroke. If one experiences heat stroke, he/she does not produce enough sweat to cool down the body, which raises the body’s temperature and causes heat exhaustion. First indicators of heat stroke include thirst, headache and dizziness. These symptoms are followed by signs such as pale skin and nausea.
Also read : Keep it Cool in Hot Weather
Curing a heat stroke
Understanding heat stroke and its symptoms play a vital role in curing it. If one has suspicion or experiences symptoms of a heat stroke, following tips may help overcome the condition.
- Evacuate from direct sunlight and move into a cool or shaded area.
- One of the ways to cure heat stroke is applying cold compresses on the warmest parts of body for a cooling effect. Alternatively, get immersed in cold water or use ice. Place ice on the forehead and move it towards the back of the neck, hands, groin, thighs and feet.
- Lie flat with feet elevated.
- Get rid of heat-retaining clothes.
- Drink lots of water or consume an oral rehydration solution for immediate recovery from dehydration. Most of the times, the cause of heat stroke is lack of fluid intake. So, stay hydrated in summers.
- Examine body temperature at regular intervals. Consult a health care provider if fluctuations are extreme. To bring down body temperature to the normal range, use evaporative cooling methods such as spraying cool water or using a fan. These methods will ease heat to escape from the body with the evaporation of water.
- Make sure you don’t wrap victim in cold compresses, which keeps heat within the body instead of drawing it out.
- If one suffers from muscle cramps due to heat stroke, he/she should refrain from strenuous work for a few hours. If cramps give unbearable pain, rush to see a health care provider.
- Precaution is the best cure; this notion proves true for individuals with blood pressure issues, allergies and those undergoing stress management. If you are vulnerable to heat, you must avoid stepping outdoors during the day.
Image source : Getty
Read more articles on Heat Stroke
For more such stories, Download Onlymyhealth app
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.