How to Cope With Your Child's Tantrums?
Every child is special and has an individual temperament or disposition. However, some children can also throw unexpected and unprovoked tantrums, but they outgrow this phase if you deal with it properly. Read on to know how to cope with your child’s tantrum.
- Don’t expect too much from your child; small children often throw a tantrum to let off steam. Afterall, they cannot express their feelings in words, so they have to use their only weapons, noise.
- Try to find the possible cause for incessant crying and screaming, like an infant way be teething or have colic, or he might be just tired.
- If the baby is small, try to sooth him by rocking him, singing lullabies or playing soothing music.
- With an older child, best to find the cause for the long term anyway. Meanwhile, try to divert his attention by playing with him or switching on the TV. If he persists, just ignore him until you can figure out his problem.
- If your child is screaming to get his way do not relent. Just say a firm “no” and walk off as giving in encourages him that his methods are working.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Feb 06, 2013
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.