Controlling blood sugar levels helps in reducing the incidence of microvascular and macrovascular complications of type 1 diabetes mellitus. Diabetes management, which primarily emphasises on administering blood sugar level, also assures to reduce the risks of cardiovascular diseases (hypertension and hypercholesterolemia).
Patients must seek assistance of a health care provider to plan their routine. The suggestions given by a health expert for controlling blood sugar levels in type 1 diabetes include daily assessment of health, adhering to insulin doses as prescribed and preventing ailments such as hypoglycaemia.
Need for Regular Assessment of Blood Sugar Levels
- Diabetics should check their blood sugar levels to know the impact of medication and lifestyle changes.
- Improvement in blood sugar levels will encourage you to make healthy food choices in diet and involve in physical activities to maintain the blood sugar level.
Easy Way to Check Blood Sugar Level
Blood sugar level can be easily checked at home using a blood glucose monitor. The market, nowadays, is flooded with several easy-to-use blood glucose monitors. These monitors usually prick your finger with a lancet to draw a drop of blood. These blood sugar monitors reflect results within a minute.
When to Check your Blood Sugar Level
- Patients need to ascertain that blood sugar level is assessed before the meals as foods may influence the actuality.
- Blood sugar level can also be examined two hours after the meal.
- Before driving or riding a vehicle.
Diabetes Self-Care at Home
- Diabetes self-care at home involves lifestyle changes and glucose monitoring. Healthy lifestyle choices in diet and engagement in physical activities helps in controlling blood sugar and minimises diabetic complications.
- Attempts should be made to reduce excess muscle mass, if there is. Assistance of a health care professional or dietician is recommended if an individual is not able to achieve his/her weight goal.
- A well-balanced diet for diabetics should feature high proportions of fibre and less of saturated fat concentrated sweets.
- Physical activities are also advised to control blood sugar levels. Health complications such as heart diseases, stroke, kidney failure, blindness and leg ulcers get reduced significantly with a regular schedule of physical exercising.
- Alcohol consumption should be moderate or abstained from.
- Smoking damages blood vessels and contributes to several health ailments such as increased blood sugar levels. Therefore, smoking should be avoided.
Read more articles on Diabetes