Back Pain Prevention - Get some simple tips to prevent back pain and know how to avoid bad posture that results in the pain.
If you are experiencing back pain, it is not like you are doomed to live with it forever. The common causes of back pain are simple strain, bad posture---hence the main focus in people with back pain is on measures that can help to prevent back pain. Here are some measures on how to prevent back pain.
Maintain healthy and strong back
- Doing exercises regularly. Try low-impact aerobic activities which don't strain your back. These increase the strength and endurance of your back muscles and improve their function. Consult your doctor to know which exercises or activities are best for you.
- Improve abdominal and back muscle strength and flexibility by doing muscle strengthening exercises (core-strengthening exercises). Better muscle strength (of the abdominal and back muscle) helps them to work better and together like a natural protection for your back. Improved flexibility in your hips and upper legs also improves how your back pain.
- Quittsmoking. Smoking decreases the oxygen levels in the spinal tissues, which slows the healing process.
- Being at a healthy weight. Being obese or overweight increases the on strain back muscles.
Adopt proper body mechanics
- Stand smart - stand in a way to maintain a neutral pelvic position. If you have to stand for long periods of time, try to take some of the load off your lower back by placing one foot at a time on a low footstool.
- Sit smartby preferring seats which provide good lower back support, arm rests and a swivel base. If needed place a small pillow or rolled towel in the small of your back to maintain its normal curve. Keep your knees and hips at the same level.
- Lift smart by avoiding strain on your back and letting your legs do the work when you have to lift something heavy. Rather than bending your back to lift, bend the knees and keep the back straight and move the knee up and down. If the load is heavy take help rather than adopting awkward.
Read more articles on Back Pain Prevention
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.