All of us are at risk of developing cancer but do you know that what you eat can help you to fight cancer?
All of us are at risk of developing cancerbut do you know that what you eat can help you to fight cancer? What you eat can make a difference in your risk of developing cancer. Some foods add to your risk of developing cancer where as some foods have anti-cancer property and they can decrease your risk of cancer. Always try to include foods in your diet that can help you to fight cancer.
What you need to know about cancer and diet
By eating the right foods you can not avoid all the health problems but you can definitely decrease them. According to research many of the cancers are related to lifestyle choices such as smoking, drinking, lack of exercise, or unhealthy diet. You can boost your ability to fight cancer by including simple measures in your lifestyle like eating healthy foods, avoiding cigarettes, minimizing alcohol, and doing regular exercise.
Cancer prevention diet: Focus on plant-based foods
The best foods for preventing or fighting cancer are plant-based foods like vegetables, fruits, nuts, beans and whole grains.
Include plenty of fresh vegetables, fruits and whole grains in your daily diet.
Some of the plant based foods which are specifically known to fight cancer are garlic, berries (like blueberries, blackberries, strawberries), tomatoes, cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower), green tea, turmeric, leafy green vegetables, grapes, beans. These are rich in anti-oxidants (substance known to fight cancer).
When you have a meal aim for a plate of food that is at least two-thirds filled with whole grains, vegetables, beans, or fruit. And other food groups like dairy products, fish, and meat make less than a third of the meal. Prefer to eat less processed foods or in short reduce the amount of processed foods in your diet.
Cancer prevention diet: Bulk up on fiber
According to research diet rich in fiber also called roughage or bulk, can help your body to fight cancer. Plant-based foods like fruits, vegetables, and whole grains are rich in fiber. Fiber is not digested by the body and it helps to keep your digestive system clean and healthy by moving the foods you eat through your digestive tract and removing cancer-causing compounds out from your system before they can actually cause harm. It helps keep food moving through your digestive tract, and it also moves cancer-causing compounds out before they can create harm. Foods like meat, dairy, sugar, or “white” foods like white bread, white rice, and pastries do not contain fiber.
Some ways to make your diet rich in fiber:
- Eat brown rice rather than white rice,
- Use whole-grain bread instead of white bread,
- Eat healthy snacks such as fruits, yogurt, popcorn rather than fries or potato chips,
- Eat fresh fruit with peel such as a pear, a banana, or an apple rather than canned fruits or fruit juices,
- Eat green salad (carrots, tomato, onions, cucumber celery) rather than chips and a sour cream dip.
High-fiber, cancer-fighting foods include
- Whole grains such as brown rice, whole wheat bread, whole-wheat pasta, barley, oatmeal.
- Fruit like berries (raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries) apples, pears, bananas, mango, apricots, citrus fruits, dried fruit, prunes, raisins
- Legumes such as black beans, split peas, chick peas, sweet peas, kidney beans, black-eyed peas.
- Vegetables such as cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, dark green leafy vegetables, peas, corn, carrots, tomatoes, sprouts, potatoes.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.