Pregnancy could be one of the most exciting and fulfilling phases of your life though, it could bring along certain health related complications and challenges. There are some health precautions during pregnancy that need to be undertaken for a safe and hazard free period. An ideal start would be to read up on the most essential precautions and have them ratified by your care giver.
Health Precautions during Pregnancy
- If you are preparing to get pregnant or have just conceived, the first precaution to take would be to start off with folic acid supplements immediately. Folic acid reduces the risk of spinal cord as well as brain defects in the unborn foetus. It is primarily responsible for synthesising DNA, normalising brain functions and is also a critical constituent of the spinal cord fluid. The dosage of folic acid supplements should be designated by your caregiver.
- There are other vitamins like Vitamin D that need to be administered during the course of pregnancy. Your doctor will be the best person to advise you on this.
- Steer clear of aspirin when you are pregnant. Aspirin is considered harmful for the foetus.
- Before you get pregnant, make sure your vaccinations are up to date. This is especially important with respect to vaccinations for measles, rubella and chicken pox. If pregnancy happens all of a sudden in an unplanned manner, ask your doctor about the best you can do.
- Toxoplasmosis is a condition that can adversely affect pregnancy and can even lead to termination. It is primarily caused by parasites. Effective precautions would include staying away from animal faeces, washing vegetables and fruits thoroughly before consumption and staying away from consuming fish and meat that has not been cooked thoroughly.
- Listeriosis is another bacterial infection that is commonly caused due to lack of hygiene. To avoid infestation, you need to refrain from consuming deli meats, fermented foods, ready- to- eat preparations, soft cheese, unpasteurised milk etc.
Furthermore, you must always inform your doctor about any pre-existing illness or infection that you might be suffering from. Health precautions during pregnancy also involve consulting your doctor about your regular medications pertaining to chronic illnesses such as hypertension, diabetes etc.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.