Air fresheners, drain cleaners, furniture polish and some other cleaning products in your home are full of harmful chemicals.
Various cleaning products are a part of almost all households these days. However, we do not realize that the chemical products being used by us in order to bring hygiene and cleanliness in our homes can actually be dangerous, if not used judiciously. These products have high chemical content that can be a threat to you and your family.
Here are some of the most commonly used cleaning products that might prove to be dangerous:
- Air Fresheners: Air fresheners have high content of chemicals such as phenol, methoxychlor and formaldehyde. It adversely affects your breathing because of many nerve damaging substances present in them. They also create a coat of oily film in the nasal passage. Moreover, it is very dangerous to the skin. If you feel any sort of swelling, itching or a burning sensation, it is advisable to stop using the air freshener.
- Chlorine: Chlorine is one of the most widely used cleaners. You can find it in abundance in dishwasher detergents, drinking water, water tanks, swimming pool and in many other cleaning products. It is not safe to use chlorine without proper hand gloves, face masks and ventilation. It is one of the major causes of breast cancer.
- Furniture Polish: Furniture polish contains a nitrobenzene which is soluble in the air and can be easily absorbed by our skin. It is petroleum by- product and therefore, highly inflammable. If people are exposed to it for a long period of time, they may develop lung or skin cancer.
- Drain Cleaners: Drain cleaners which are meant to dissolve human hairs and other waste particles are a great health hazard. They are available in both solid and liquid form, but in either of the forms, they are equally dangerous as they contain chemicals such as potassium hydroxide and sulfuric acid. You may not be able to avoid its usage altogether, but you can minimize it by using a drain screen and by clearing the clogs with the help of a plunger.
- Carpet Cleaner: Carpet cleaners contain cancerous agents such as naphthalene and percholoethylene. It directly affects a person’s central nervous system and causes dizziness and nausea. Toddlers who spend a long period of time playing and sitting on carpets are most prone to these disorders. Thus, parents are advised to use these carpet cleaners judiciously.
- Toilet Cleaners: Many of us experience burning sensation in eyes and skin when we come in contact with toilet cleaners. It happens because of their high content of hydrochloric acid. Apart from the burning sensation, it may also lead to various kidney and lungs related problems, as well as breathing troubles.
- Oven Cleaner: Oven cleaners are used the most in the homes as cleaning an oven is a tedious task, but with the help of an oven cleaner it becomes easier. However its excessive use can be dangerous for yours and your family’s health. Most of them contain aerosol which easily dissolves in the air and enters our respiratory system. It causes a burning sensation in the lungs and on prolonged exposure, may lead to suffocation.
It is true that we cannot do away with most of these cleaning agents. However make sure that you use them wisely and clean them properly, ensuring that no traces are left on any surface. Also make sure that they are out of children’s reach.
Image source: Getty
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.