Grocery Shopping Tips for College Students
- College students do need some shopping advice on how to manage their grocery shopping
- It is important for a student to chalk out a monthly budget regarding the expenses on food
- Read on to find out grocery shopping tips for college students
College life is the most enjoyable part in one’s life but it also inculcates sensibility and nurtures students to grow as responsible human beings. Maintaining regular expenses, studies, part time jobs and recreation is not always easy, as a student has to meet all ends within a budget. Therefore, college students need to apply common sense in every step including jobs such as grocery shopping. Shopping for different purposes is a regular feature for college students be it weekly or monthly. A bulk of the money is spent in storing provisions. College students can do with some shoppping advice to help them cut their coats according to the cloth.
It is important for a student to chalk out a monthly budget regarding the expenses on food and follow it strictly. This can be tough as prices of food items vary according to seasons and availability. By following a regularised pattern in shopping, a student can prevent himself from landing into difficult situations. While shopping for groceries, it is essential to consider the health benefits of the food items than going for the taste. Students staying in dorms and hostels have limited options because in most of these accommodations, self-catering services are not provided. Shared accommodations with self-catering services can be the best way to save in food expenses. Things may seem quite tough at the beginning, but gradually ease out with time.
Grocery Shopping Tips for College Students:
- For grocery shopping, select the right food stores that sell food items at a reasonable price. Do a market survey regarding the cheap grocery stores or ask your seniors. You may need to travel a distance for buying cheap vegetables and food items, but take care that travelling expenses do not pile up in the quest for saving
- Always select seasonal fruits and vegetables and avoid items which are less available. Prices of food items vary a lot according to the availability. Reduce the consumption of the costly vegetables
- Shop with your friends and roommates so that you can share your expenses in buying essential food items in bulk amounts. You can store these food items such as milk, butter, cheese and cereals for a long time and consume conveniently
- Farm fresh fruits and vegetables are bound to be pricey. It is better for the college students to go for frozen food items. The nutritive value of these food items remains preserved as they are packed immediately after picking
- Buying of canned fruits is also a good idea in saving your grocery expenses. Buy large cans and share the cost with your friends
- Always cook in bulk and keep it refrigerated. This will save your time and food expenses
- Look for cheap sources for protein such as soy products, oats, peanut butter and chickpeas that will help in your savings
- Look for sales and discounts offered in selected food stores and stack your kitchen and refrigerator at a very low cost! Take care so that over stacking does not result in spoilage of the food
It is important for college students to stick to basic and healthy food habits. Avoid eating readymade burgers and sandwiches. Make them easily at home!. Go for grocery shopping on a weekly or fortnightly basis and keep a watch on the rise and fall in the prices of food items in the market.
Read more articles on Shopping Advice.
For more related articles, Download OnlymyHealth App.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Apr 06, 2018
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.