Arms are the usual problem area and anybody would desire for tone hands. Here is one way to tone your arms. This can be done while watching TV or while you get a small break in the kitchen or even in the office.
- Stand with the feet shoulder-width apart
- Keep your back upright and keep your stomach in
- Now extend your arms sideways with your palms facing outwards
- Bring the arms in together, straight in front of you with the palms still facing outwards
- Extend back to the sides
- Do ten repetitions each side
You can up your workout by extending your arms sideways and then bringing them straight up together over the head and then drop them to the starting position.
A. Seated Dumbbell Curls
- Sit on a bench with the torso upright, knees bent and feet flat on the floor
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand with the arms hanging down by the sides and your palms facing inside
- Curl one arm, bending at the elbow and rotate the palm while curling upwards so that it faces the shoulder
- Contract the biceps fully and then uncurl and extend the arm back to the starting position
- Repeat on the other arm
Variation: This exercise can also be done in a standing position, single arm at a time or both arms together.
B. Barbell Curls
- Stand with the feet shoulder-width apart and knees softly bent
- Keep the torso upright, abdominal and hip muscles contracted to stabilize the position and avoid using momentum (swinging the body to lift weight up)
- Grasp a barbell in the front of the body with an underhand grip (knuckles facing the body and small fingers facing each other) and hands slightly wider than shoulder-width apart
- Curl the barbell up towards the shoulders, feel the contraction in the biceps and slowly lower the bar back to the initial position
Variation: This exercise can also be done with a narrow grip that is hands shoulder-width apart with the elbows touching the waist on both sides.
C. Hammer Curl
This exercise works the forearms also along with the biceps.
- Stand or sit holding a dumbbell in each hand with your palms facing inside
- Curl the dumbbells up until the thumbs are close to the shoulders on both sides
- Pause for a second and slowly return to the starting position
a. Cable press down
- Stand to face the cable. Grasp the handle with an overhand grip (palms facing the body and thumbs facing each other) at chest level. Hands shoulder width apart and elbows bent at the waist
- Press down the handle till it reaches the thighs
- Feel the contraction in the triceps on full arm extension and then return to the starting position
b. Single-arm Overhead Extensions
- Sit or stand holding a dumbbell in one hand with the elbow bent behind the head and the lower end of the dumbbell slightly touching the neck
- Extend the arm up towards the ceiling till it becomes vertical and lowers down to the starting position
Note: Do not lock out the elbow joint with a jerk as you extend your arm upwards.
A. Reverse curls
- Stand with the legs shoulder-width apart, knees soft and arms extended to the front of the body, holding a barbell with an overhand grip. Hands should be shoulder width apart on both sides
- Curl the weights while contracting the biceps as you breathe out. Only the forearms should move. Continue the movement until your biceps are fully contracted and the bar is at shoulder level. Hold the contracted position for a second as you squeeze the muscle
- Slowly begin to bring the bar back to starting position as you breathe in
B. Wrist Roller
- In the beginning, stand straight up grasping a wrist collar using a pronated grip. Your feet should be shoulder width apart on both sides
- Slowly lift both arms until they are fully extended and parallel to the floor in front of you. Your entire body should be stationary except for the forearms. This is the starting position
- Rotate one wrist at a time in an upward motion to bring the weight up to the bar by rolling the rope around the roller
- Once the weight has reached the bar, slowly begin to lower the weight back down by rotating the wrist in a downward motion until the weight reaches the starting position