Sleepy all the Time: Is the Reason Excessive Daytime Sleepiness
- Are you feeling more sleepy than you usually do?
- You may be suffering from excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS)
- Excessive daytime sleepiness is characterized by persistent sleepiness and lack of energy
- Consult your doctor if you are struggling with sleep and have no explanation for it
All of us at some point in our lives have experienced days of lethargy and sleepiness. However, when lack of sleep starts interrupting your daily activities or reduces your ability to function properly, then you may be suffering from a sleep disorder. Are you feeling more sleepy than you usually do? Is it work? Or is it some kind of a sleep disorder? You may be suffering from excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS). Let us find out more about EDS in the article.
Excessive daytime sleepiness is characterized by continuous sleepiness and lack of energy throughout the day even after adequate nighttime sleep. This condition includes several other sleep disorders that have excessive sleep as a symptom.
Symptoms of EDS
- Feeling extremely sleepy or lethargic during the day
- Taking numerous naps throughout the day
- Difficulty focusing on your school/job work
- Trouble waking up in the morning
- Anxiety, depression, irritability or loss of appetite
- Falling asleep at inappropriate times such as in the middle of conversations, during meals or while driving
Causes of EDS
There can be multiple causes of the problem, but first with the help of your doctor you need to figure out what may be the reason you are experiencing excessive daytime sleepiness.
- Mental Health Issues: Anxiety or stress can cause sleep deprivation or some serious sleep disorders. Depression can also be the reason behind your sleepless nights. Consult a doctor and seek help if you experience these symptoms to halt the consequences as soon as you can
- Unhealthy Lifestyle: You are depriving yourself of sleep because you have a lot of work or you are too busy watching your favourite show on Netflix. Whether the reason is official or personal, the most important factor influencing your sleep is your unhealthy lifestyle. Remember you will be able to perform your activities efficiently if you will prioritize your sleep
- Poor Sleep Habits: If you are unable to get a good quality sleep even after spending long hours in the bed, then you need to consult a doctor or change your daily habits a little. This could be due to strenuous exercise, drinking too much coffee, smoking a lot, frequent naps or delayed sleep phase syndrome
- Medical Health Issues: Your health could be the reason why you feel tired or sleepy. Blood sugar levels, diabetes, lung disease, heart problems, or underactive thyroid could be one of the reasons for excessive daytime sleepiness. Arthritis can also make it difficult for a person to fall sleep well at night. These and many other health issues could be the cause of the problem
- Narcolepsy: It is a chronic neurological disorder that causes overwhelming daytime sleepiness. Excessive daytime sleepiness is one of the symptoms of narcolepsy; other symptoms include sleep paralysis, hallucinations, and cataplexy
When to Seek Help?
If you struggling with sleep and do not have an explanation as to why this is happening then you need to consult your doctor. Your doctor may ask you to get some tests done or refer to a sleep specialist. A sleep specialist will examine you by asking a few questions related to your irregular sleep patterns and other difficulties you are facing.
Read more articles Sleep Disorders.
For more such articles, Download OnlymyHealth App.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Mar 13, 2018
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.