Eating disorders are of various types ranging from anorexia to orthorexia. Read their symptoms to find if you are suffering from any.
Are you obsessed with eating healthy? Healthful eating is good but obsession is bad. Your body needs everything from carbs to fats. Unless you are following some diet plan suggested by a nutritionist, restricted eating is bad and may lead to an eating disorder. There are different types of eating disorders and its pitiful that their symptoms are so meager that they often go unnoticed. Imagine, you don’t know you have an eating disorder! These can cause serious implications for your wellness and put you at risk of other diseases. It is better to control the condition before you reach that stage. Notice the signs and symptoms as mentioned in this article.
4 Eating Disorders and Their Symptoms
1. Anorexia Nervosa
This eating disorder is identified by problems in maintaining body weight, sudden weight loss, distorted body image. People suffering from this eating disorder usually focus on decreasing their calories by every means. If they consume extra, they consume laxatives to eliminate all of it from the body thinking that it would cause weight gain. Here are some signs & symptoms:
- Obsessed with diet, calories, and weight
- Avoiding meals
- Constantly worries over weight gain
- Gastrointestinal issues like acid reflux, constipation, etc.
- Stomach cramps
- Fainting/fatigue/dizziness due to nutrient deficiencies
- Poor immunity
- Hair loss, brittle nails, dull & dry skin
2. Bulimia Nervosa
This is exactly opposite to Anorexia Nervosa, where people suffering from this disorder are always found eating. They find themselves hungry every now and then and so, they keep binging to satiate their hunger. However, they also end up throwing(vomiting) to compensate for the extra calories they’ve consumed. First, eat and then eliminate. This disorder can be identified with these symptoms:
- Consuming a lot of packaged, processed and junk food
- Fear of gaining weight
- Going to the bathroom immediately after eating food
- Try fad diets for instant weight loss
- Anxious about body image and try to hide their body
- Constantly looking in the mirror and checking weight on weighing scale
- Poor immunity
- Low energy levels
- Gastrointestinal problems like gas, constipation, etc.
- Swollen face
3. Binge eating
Binge eating is a recent addition to the eating disorder list. We all know what it is, right? Continuous eating until your stomach hurts. Well, we all do this sometimes and that is not a disorder. When a person binge eats almost daily, it is an eating disorder. However, the person is hardly worried about this act in binge eating disorder. The symptoms are:
- Eating without a reason and requirement
- Eating excessively or binge eating
This eating disorder is for those who are extremely possessive about eating healthy and healthily. This becomes an obsession wherein they may disregard nutrients in their diet. Healthy eating is good but sometimes, eating unhealthy can balance your health in unsaid ways. Find if you have orthorexia with these symptoms:
- Narrowing your diet with a particular food group that is healthy
- No eating unhealthy or junk at all
- Eating salads as your meals most of the times
- Plan your meals in advance
Read More Articles in Miscellaneous
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.