Hair perming does sound very interesting and tempting for many. Even though we know the amount of heat and chemicals we will be exposing our hair to, we still want to get it done anyway. Despite knowing everything, we end up using a lot many styling products on our hair. But, what to do before and after getting any treatment done? Hair perming is one of the most sought after hair settings that women get but do not know what it takes to tame those tresses after perming (hair perming pros and cons).
Permed hair requires additional care because when you perm your hair, you add curl and body to your hair by using chemicals. The harsh chemicals in perm solution damage your hair and make it porous, making it prone to dryness and frizz. Permed hair gets tangled and matted very easily. Pollution, the sun and harsh wind can play havoc with your permed hair. Exposure to intense sun and strong winds can also dry out your hair and make it brittle. Your dry and porous hair becomes prone to split ends and breakage.
To start with, there are specific pros that make us do things to our hair. As per our understanding, the following are some of the benefits of getting perms done:
- If you have light hair, perming adds extra volume and bulk to your hair.
- It is a pleasant change from straight and long hair. Perming reduces the length and also gives a unique look.
- It requires barer minimum hairstyling daily as perming leads to permanent curls (3-4 months) which need not require setting every day.
Like we say, exposing our hair to chemicals can lead to poor hair health. Following are some of the cons of getting perms done:
- When you get your hair permed, you are told to not shampoo or wash your hair for 2-3 days. The chemicals used while perming has a strong smell. One should have the capacity to bear that smell.
- It makes hair brittle as there might be chances that permed hair may become frizzy, dry and unmanageable. To retain shine, daily moisturise or condition your hair.
- Perming hampers the S-S protein in the hair. It affects future growth leading to breakage and split ends.
- With hair perming, regularly oiling the hair can be a problem as permed hair is supposed to be washed only 1-2 times in a week.
Even though most of the hair styling hampers the hair health, we still have no reasons to not go for something as trendy as perming. With primary care, one can rock the permed look, without worrying much about the hair. Following are some post-salon care tips that one needs to follow after perming:
- Deep-condition your hair one a week minimum to minimise the damage caused due to chemicals.
- Use shampoos and other hair products, which are made explicitly for enhancing curls.
- When the hair dries, keep scrunching your hair for the curls to retain. Do not towel dry or run rigorously.
- Do not wash your hair with hot water. Lesser the heat, it is better for the hair. Also, avoid using any heat appliance like a dryer. Let the curls dry naturally.
- Get your hair trimmed once every three months to get rid of brittle hair ends.
Read more articles on Hair Care