Do you Have Diabetes? You May be at Risk of a Heart Attack
- A heart attack can occur at an early age
- Take control of your diabetes with ABCs
- Take action to lower the risk of heart attack
If you have diabetes, you are at high risk for heart attack and stroke.
Heart disease is more likely to strike you and at an earlier age than someone without diabetes. But you can fight back. Be smart about your heart. Take control of the ABCs of diabetes and live a long and healthy life.
A is for A1C
- The A1C (A-one-C) test- short for haemoglobin.
- A1C measures your average blood.
- Glucose (sugar) over the last 3 months.
- Suggested target: below 7.
B is for Blood Pressure
- High blood pressure makes your heart
work too hard.
- Suggested target: below 130/80.
C is for Cholesterol
- Bad cholesterol, or LDL, builds up
and clogs your blood vessels.
- Suggested LDL target: below 100.
Ask your health care provider these questions:
- What are my ABC numbers?
- What should my ABC target numbers be?
- What actions should I take to reach my ABC target numbers?
Take action now to lower your risk of heart attack and stroke and other diabetes problems:
- Get at least 30 minutes of physical activity 5 days a week.
- Eat less fat and salt.
- Eat more fiber—choose whole grains, fruits, vegetables and beans.
- Stay at a healthy weight.
- Stop smoking—ask your provider for help.
- Take medicines as prescribed.
- Ask your doctor about taking aspirin.
- Ask others to help you manage your diabetes.
Source: National Institute of Health Jan 22, 2018
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.