Heart patients are often being advised to visit a doctor frequently in order to avoid any complications. However, according to a study, heart patients must also check for depression often.
According to the guidelines given by the American Psychiatry Association, it is common for heart patients to suffer from depression. The guidelines also state that if a heart patient finds symptoms of mood disorders, they should immediately seek psychiatric help.
Role of Depression in Heart Patients
- Stress which gives birth to depression can cause blood pressure, arterial damage, irregular heart rhythms, and weakening of the immune system.
- Patients who suffer from heart diseases have increased platelet reactivity, decreased heart variability, and increased proinflammatory markers which increase the risk of a heart disease.
- A study showed that persistent depression after recovery increases the risk of death to 17 percent within 6 months after a heart attack.
- If a person is recovering from a cardiac surgery, depression can play a significant role in increasing the pain.
Know When to Seek Help
When you have undergone a heart surgery or have suffered a heart attack, sadness or depressed feelings are common. However, you must seek medical help when you see the symptoms worsening and occurrence of other symptoms like withdrawing yourself from social activities, increase in negative thoughts, and tearfulness become frequent.
If you don’t seek treatment in time, it may worsen condition for heart patients. Rush to your health care provider who will diagnose your problem and give you the required medication.
How to Cope with Depression?
Apart from taking counseling sessions, you can also introduce some changes to your daily life to fight depression. Follow tips like:
- Wear clean clothes and freshen up every morning.
- Take a peaceful stroll every day.
- Exercise daily.
- Interact with people and resume your social life.
- Share feelings with your near ones.
- Have a healthy diet.
- Avoid smoking, alcohol, and overeating.
There are many treatments available to cure your depression. If you are suffering from major depressive disorders, it may be treated with antidepressants or psychotherapy. The therapy will help you to increase your desire to interact socially and create positive thoughts in abundance.
A healthy lifestyle and a nutritious diet will have an important role to play while you recover from depression. Eat healthy and completely avoid overeating. Introduce an exercise regime to your routine which you must follow without fail.
Depression is a disease which has cure only if you have a strong will power and zeal to give your life a kick start again.
Image Source: Getty
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.