Dandruff in children's hair home remedies: It is common for infants to have skin problems because of their sensitive skin, and they are developing their immunity against bacteria. Most skin disorders can cause irritability and discomfort such as dandruff (it is a skin problem that affects the skin of your baby's head). It is one of the most common and widespread infections in children. What is dandruff? Dandruff is a mild form of a disorder called seborrheic dermatitis of the skin. In this, the crust is formed on the surface of the head or sometimes on the brow or eyelids. These crusts are gathered on the skin of the head and start appearing as small white bunches. Although dandruff is harmless, it can cause itching and redness of the skin. If your child's hair is falling out too much, be sure to consult a doctor, as it can also be a warning of some other disease. While there are many over-the-counter medicines available for the treatment of dandruff, it is still advisable to discuss a doctor before taking any medication as some treatments may cause allergic reactions to children.
Dandruff in children
There are many speculations about why your child may have dandruff. These include the following:
- Excessive use of shampoo: Excessive use of shampoo damages all the natural oils on the scalp, making the skin dry, causing dandruff. Sometimes dermatitis can also be a problem due to chemical products on the skin.
- Fungal infections: A fungus called Malassezia can cause excessive loss of dead cells from the scalp. When these cells combine with sebum produced by the oil glands, it causes dandruff.
- Less use of shampoo: It is essential to take care of the hygiene of the scalp as it can cause dandruff very quickly due to the accumulation of dead skin, dirt and oils on it.
- Oily skin of the head: The surface of our head produces oil to remain moist and healthy. However, excessive oil can cause dandruff.
- Heat: If the skin of the head is exposed to too much heat, such as exposure to direct sunlight, it can cause dandruff.
- Moisture: Lack of moisture, especially in the winter months, can make the scalp skin dry.
- Skin diseases: Some skin diseases cause dandruff, including eczema and psoriasis.
Signs and symptoms of dandruff in infants
There are many signs of dandruff that you can monitor. Some of these are as follows:
- Dry skin on the scalp, forehead and eyelids
- Smooth spots on the skin
- Reddening of the skin
- The appearance of white flakes on the skin
Is dandruff the only cause of a crust on the scalp of children?
Although dandruff is the most common cause of a crust on the skin of your baby's head, this is not the only reason. Other reasons for this include:
- Cradle cap
Ways to get rid of dandruff
Here are some ways that you can try to get rid of dandruff in children:
- Wash with water: Keep in mind that any shampoo used for the scalp should be washed thoroughly using enough water and should not leave even a small fraction of the shampoo in the hair.
- Relax the skin: Sometimes scratching the affected surface can worsen the disease. Instead, use products such as coconut oil, aloe vera or even butter to reduce any inflammation and irritation of the skin.
- Do not use conditioner: Under no circumstances, you should use a conditioner on your child's hair. This can significantly damage or change the appearance of their hair and scalp skin.
- Brushes and Shampoo: Use a soft-bristled brush for your baby's head (this will remove dead skin crusts). Use a gentle shampoo to wash their hair.
- Medicinal Shampoo: If dandruff persists, consult your child's doctor and ask them for medicinal shampoo.
Read more articles on Tips For Parents
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.